Hey, this is Dawn! I'm considering doing a workshop if there's enough interest so keep reading and add your contact information if you're interested.
The goal of this workshop will be to show you how to
put together your own Linked ID
that your teen can use to request communication accommodation.
Its specific purpose is as an aid
for requesting sign language interpretation.
- First, the ID card can be useful in identifying your child as someone who is Deaf/HH and in need of communication assistance.
- Secondly, while the ID card may be sufficient on its own, it is also linked by a qr code to a private website (that you can choose to make un-searchable by search engines) that can provide even further information such as information on what is actually required and next steps.
- Third, you can customize both the ID card and the website.
However, I caution against too much additional personal medical information.*
You may already use other Medical ID -- Medical ID Jewelry, Emergency Medical ID card. Both can be useful in a given situation, but I want to clarify the distinction between these two items:
- One, the Linked ID, is a request for communication accommodation.
- The other, Medical ID, is a medical emergency alert.
The intent of this ID project is to aid in requests for communication accommodation in a range of situations.
Please Note: It is recommended to use (or continue to use) your Medical ID Jewelry, as First Responders are trained to notice Medical ID and typically will not attempt to open any websites or online documentation.
Otherwise, the ID card is a simple, easy method for your child to self-advocate as someone who is Deaf or Hard of Hearing and in need of communication assistance.
Self-advocacy is going to be an important part of life for many of our children with disabilities.
I’m happy to work with you to get a similar ID card with a qr code linked private website set up for your child/teen/young adult. I'm considering doing a workshop if there's enough interest so share this page with those who might be interested.
Would that be helpful?
If so, just enter your contact information to get on the notifications list. After I have enough people to do a workshop I'll notify you then. In the meantime I'll send you a tips & tools email with a list of the tools I used in my own Linked ID project for my son.